Thursday, August 10, 2006

Daily News: No One Answer

Philadelphia Daily News discusses solutions for violence.

A column last week noting links between fatherless homes and violent crime brought tons of reaction and lots of questions, chief among them what can be done.

It's a question begging for more than normal political responses - a special committee or a new police chief or a new gun law or a curfew.

The point is that a crisis, which the city faces, calls for multiple responses, from the orthodox to the unusual. And all should be taken seriously, without political constraints or deference to political correctness.

Northeast Times: Cars, Girls Spark Gunfire

Northeast Times narrates another pair of shootings.

Philadelphia police arrested two men in connection with two separate local shootings last week.

The first incident occurred on July 30 at about midnight at SEPTA’s Frankford Terminal, 1500 Bridge St. According to police, an argument between two groups of teens, apparently over a girl, sparked the gunfire.

The arguing led to a physical fight, during which a 17-year-old male allegedly pulled out a .32-caliber revolver and shot another 17-year-old male once in the shoulder. Police took the victim to Frankford Hospital’s Torresdale Campus in stable condition. He was treated in the emergency room and immediately released, a hospital spokeswoman said.

Witnesses told police that the shooter and his group had boarded a bus in an attempt to flee. Officers tracked down the bus on the 5200 block of Castor Ave. and took the passengers off. A short time later, police found a bag on the ground near the scene. It contained a loaded revolver with one spent shell in the chamber.

After a witness pointed out the alleged shooter, he was identified, arrested and charged with aggravated assault and related offenses. His name is not being published because he is a minor.

The second shooting occurred on Aug. 1 at about 12:11 a.m. on the 2000 block of Nester St. in Bustleton, police said.

Police arrived and found a wounded male lying in the grass outside of an apartment building. Korti Stiti, 27, of the 1800 block of Nester St., had been wounded three times in the torso.

Fire department medics took him to Frankford Hospital’s Torresdale Campus in critical condition. Following emergency surgery, he remained hospitalized until Aug. 5.

Witnesses informed investigators that four men came to the apartment complex and engaged in an argument with another man over an automobile. When Stiti got involved in the dispute, one of the men allegedly shot him several times, then fled on foot.

Police identified the suspect and spotted him a short time later walking near Castor Avenue and Arthur Street. He was identified as Srecko Pesikan, 20, of the 2000 block of Arthur St. He was charged with attempted murder, aggravated assault and related offenses.

YOU'RE FIRST: Townhall.com Interviews Raj

Earlier today, Townhall.com conversed with our candidate. According to Raj, the interview went “splendidly.”

“A Stark Reminder This Nation Is At War”

Fox News describes Governmental reaction.

President Bush:
"The recent arrests that our fellow citizens are now learning about are a stark reminder that this nation is at war with Islamic fascists who will use any means to destroy those of us who love freedom, to hurt our nation."

Senator Joe Lieberman (D-Connecticut):
"This should serve as the latest, most serious evidence that we are in a war against a brutal enemy that intends to attack us over and over again in the most indiscriminate way. The Department of Homeland Security is doing what it was created to do in the face of a terrorist threat: protecting the United States through the implementation of security measures, international cooperation, and coordination with the law enforcement and intelligence communities."

Townhall.com Records Plot Reaction

Townhall.com recounts American reaction. Their coverage includes Michelle Malkin, Wizbang, and the CounterTerrorism Blog.

British Prevent Catastrophic Attack

Philly.com documents 21 arrests.

British authorities said Thursday they thwarted a terrorist plot to simultaneously blow up several aircraft heading to the U.S. using explosives smuggled in carry-on luggage. Police arrested 21 people, saying they were confident they captured the main suspects in what U.S. officials said was a plot in its final phases that had all the earmarks of an al-Qaida operation.

Two U.S. counterterrorism officials said the terrorists had targeted United, American and Continental airlines. A U.S. intelligence official said the plotters had hoped to target flights to major airports in New York, Washington and California.

Plot Produces Philadelphia Delays

Philly.com relates what terror induced.

The disrupted plot to blow up U.S.-bound planes from London is having repercussions at airports all over the United States, including Philadelphia.

"We flew in October of 2001, a month after 9/11 and we didn't experience anything like this," said Tawana Sabbath of Philadelphia, waiting with her husband, Walter.